The boat people
DAISY Sound Recording
When a rusty cargo ship carrying Mahindan and five hundred fellow refugees from Sri Lanka's bloody civil war reaches Vancouver's shores, the young father thinks he and his six-year-old son can finally start a new life. Instead, the group is thrown into a detention processing center, with government officials and news headlines speculating that among the "boat people" are members of a separatist militant organization responsible for countless suicide attacks--and that these terrorists now pose a threat to Canada's national security. As the refugees become subject to heavy interrogation, Mahindan begins to fear that a desperate act taken in Sri Lanka to fund their escape may now jeopardize his and his son's chance for asylum. Canada Reads 2018. Bestseller. 2018.
2 available of 2 items
- DAISY edition.
- Computer data (116 files : 189 MB).
- 1 DAISY disc (13 hrs., 45 min.) : sound ; 4 3/4 in.
- digital DAISY format
- Access restricted to persons who are visually impaired or physically disabled and cannot use conventional print materials.
- Narrator: Mary Fisher.
- Audio and text.
- Original version: Bala, Sharon The boat people Toronto : McClelland & Stewart, 2018.
- Search and access by headings and pages.
- DAISY 2.02 standard; MP3 compression. Compression rate 32.
- System requirements: IBM PC or compatible; double speed or faster CD-ROM drive; sound card and sound output device; DAISY playback software or DAISY talking book player. Also plays in CD-MP3 player or computer with MP3-capable software.
- Studio original.
Publisher or Distributor Number: 2421834Link to PAC